Template

Monday, February 01, 2010

Eighty year old you...



It is no secret how I feel about these girls.  Anyone who knows me knows that once Hannah was born, my life was forever changed.  





The other night I was snuggling with both of the girls on the couch and it hit me...I will never know the 80 year old Hannah.  I will never see Hailey turn 80 years old.  It made me sad.


That got me thinking about my grandma. 


Grandma is the matriarch of the family.  Not in a bossy-do-as-I-say-cause-I-said-so type of way but in a make-sure-everyone-is taken-care-of-and-knows-they-are-loved-sort of way. 
Walk into grandma's house and from the instant your feet hit the carpet until the moment you get in your car to leave, you have her undivided attention.  There is no question that she loves her family and that she would do anything for us.  She truly cares about us and it is obvious when talking to her that she really cares about what you are telling her.  She has instilled values in all of us and my sisters and I often joke about how we are more nervous about disappointing grandma than disappointing our mom or dad.  Nobody wants to disappoint their parents but you really don't want to disappoint grandma.  The funny thing about that is that I am not sure that any one of us could actually even do anything that would disappoint her. 
She is the most forgiving, generous, caring, and loving woman I have ever met.  She sure has set a good example of what a grandma is all about.  I sure hope that my eighty year old Hannah and Hailey are just like her.
Grandma Alice, my great-grandmother, would be so proud of her daughter.  


3 comments:

Karri said...

This is beautiful! I needed it today as it comes up on the anniversary of my Grandma's passing.

Jennie said...

She sure didn't like when I got my nose pierced :) But in no time I was her lil Jenny-Sue again--♥ this post!

Kari said...

love the post too. but makes me miss her so much.