Template

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

I did the mom thing


Last weekend, Judy and Denny, invited us to hang out and swim at a local hotel.  Jennifer, Tom, and the kids would be coming too.  Now, the part about hanging out at a hotel sounded fun to me.  Swimming....are you kidding me?!  I don't even own a swimsuit. 
Now, I am not going to lie to you...I was looking forward to Hannah going swimming.  I checked with Judy and Jennifer and both of them were going to swim.  Sweet!  That would mean that I wouldn't have to.  I could sit on the side of the pool and take pictures.  Yes, that's a good plan.
So here we were, Saturday morning, I was packing up a bag getting ready for the girls to have fun with their swimming adventure.  Hannah comes along, helping me pack the bag.  She looks up at me with her adorable face and says "You swim wif me mom?  Hailey swim wif me too?"  Now, not only does this little girl have the sweetest face you have ever seen but the voice she uses to ask questions...so full of hope and joy.  How could I say no?!  How could I tell her that her mommy feels too chubby to swim with her and is embarrassed that she hasn't lost the baby weight (plus some) yet?  How do I tell her that my self conscious feeling about my looks right now mean more to me than spending time experiencing that moment with her?  How could I show her that it is ok to be ashamed of what you look like because you are scared of what someone else is going to think about you? 
At that moment, I was going to make a decision to do something that was going to be more than just swimming with my daughters.  So, I picked up and Hannah and I went to find me a suit.
We spent the rest of the afternoon painting our toenails and getting ready for our evening together.
I am proud of myself.  We had a great time and Hannah LOVED swimming.


P.S.  I didn't die.  Can you believe it?!  I survived AND my family still loves me :-)

1 comment:

Kari said...

You are an awesome mom. I wish you were my mom, haha! :) Just kidding, Grandma Chris. But, Amy, seriously that is just great. Love you and so happy those two girls have you for their mommy!!!