Template

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pencils, Crayola and Glue Sticks- Oh My!


We missed the official Kindergarten registration day because I was in Madison for work so tonight after I picked the girls up from Jackie's head ran up to the school to drop off Hannah's stuff.
They gave us a folder with some information in it.  One of the things it had in it was the school supply list.  Already?!
I guess I would rather have it now so we can be prepared but it's crazy to think that in April we are already planning for the September school year.

Hannah also received a placemat thing to start practicing her letters.  On one side are the letters with spaces for her to practice writing them and on the other were pictures with the letters and then the word spelled out.  While we were driving home I asked her to try to read the words by sounding them out and then spelling them for me.  She was doing ok until she got to the word- igloo.
"J, G, J, O, O"


So, brings me to a quick little rant......WHY in the WORLD would you hand this out to kids to learn their letters.  Do you see that letter k?!  When is the last time you have written a letter i or l like that?!
And fine, whatever, we can get over it- she can learn that sometimes people write their letters that way- but for the next 3 minutes I was peppered with questions of 'Why?"  "Why do they write their letters like that?" "Do I have to start writing my letter i like a backwards j?"  "Why do they want letters to look fancy?"


2 comments:

Jennie said...

I agree with you/Hannah--way to make it super complicated/confusing for those just starting to learn :-P Ugh, frustrating.

Kari said...

Can't believe she is that old!