Template

Saturday, September 08, 2012

Last day to be 4

 
Today is Hannah's last day as a four year old.
 
The mailman came as she was taking Hailey for a spin in the Barbie car.
She opend her card from Grandma Chris and Tom and a $5 bill fell out into her lap.
 
Hannah:  "YES!  I just knew that I was gonna get some money for my birthday!"
 
 
I always tease the girls about not wanting to let them grow up.  I have often told them I was cancelling birthdays- not to be mean but in hopes that they wouldn't get any older.  I miss who they were when they were younger and even though I ADORE them more and more every day, I miss who they used to be.  Sure, sure- their personalities are a lot the same but their voices get more mature.  Their conversations and interests get more developed.
As it got closer and closer to the actual day I tried hard not to mention things like this because a few times I think I actually hit a cord with Hannah and started to make her feel bad.
 
While sitting in the back seat about a month ago....
 
Hannah:  "Mom.  I have a great idea."
Me:  "Oh yeah, let me hear it."
Hannah: "Why don't you bring me to the doctor and see if the doctor can put a needle where the birthdays are and then maybe he can stop them from happening."
Me: "Oh Hannah, why in the world would we do that?"
Hannah:  "Because then you won't miss me anymore and cry when I get older."
 
Knowing how badly she wants to grow up and be a big kid I started to feel bad about this. 
Poor thing- too much compassion at such a young age.
Although, good thing she doesn't know that if it were possible to stop her from growing, I might take a stab at trying ;-)

2 comments:

Patience said...

Ah, that's a heartbreaking little story. I have to say, it is so fun to watch them grow up. Violet cracks me up almost every day with the stuff she comes up with!

Karri said...

While it is sad that they aren't little anymore, it's amazing to watch them grow into "young adults".