Template

Monday, January 30, 2012

Time to be an adult....


Over a year and a half ago I broke a tooth.
It took me almost a year before I went to the dentist to check it out (I hate dentists!).
At that time they recommended that I get a root canal and a crown.
It took me a few months to schedule the root canal but I finally did.

The procedure was actually pretty easy.  I was surprised.  It took a long time but I was so numb that I didn't feel any pain at all.  
Next up- time to schedule my appt for the crown.  The Endodontist recommended going to the dentist within the next 4-6 weeks.  Well, it took me 2 1/2 months but I finally scheduled an appt.
When I called to schedule they told me they could get me in that same day.  HA- HA!  Yeah, right!
I was going to need time to prepare for this.
Not a lot of time but a least a few days.
I scheduled the first appointment for the 30th (today).  I showed up and checked in.
"OK, thank you Amy.  That will be $500- how would you like to pay?"

"WHAT?!  Excuse me?  $500 for what?  I am not prepared to pay that today.  What is that for?  Doesn't my insurance pay for that?"

The ladies there weren't very helpful at all and just kept saying, that's your portion of the cost- you will need to pay that before we will do the procedure.
I was totally taken back and caught off guard so I left.
I felt like I needed to call the insurance company and get this squared away before I paid $500 for something that I thought insurance should cover.
I sat on the phone with the insurance company and after about 30 minutes discovered why my portion of this service would cost $500.  The dentist was also planning on doing 4 fillings today- I have requested white fillings in the past and today learned that the white composite fillings will cost me 40% of their lofty price of  $160 each.  Add in my $25 deductible and 40% of the crown and build up cost and there it was $481.44 (my portion).

I was finally going to be an adult and take care of this and then this happened.  Guess I won't be much of an adult today after all.

Now I hate the dentist even more....

2 comments:

Jennie said...

It's ridiculous. I was coming out of the anaesethia from my wisdon teeth and they were making me pay my portion of the cost right then and there--seems like that should be highly illegal. No idea where this 'pay today' practice came in....so i totally don't blame you.

Patience said...

Wow, that sounds like a really annoying experience. Needing to pay $500 up front is some pretty good information to have at least a few days before the visit!