Template

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Blessing or Lesson?


I work with a woman named Tammy.
Since the first day I met her I knew she was different from most people that I would work with in my life.  At the time I wasn't quite sure what it was but I just knew.

We were working in my office one of the first projects we worked on together.  When she got up to leave she stopped in the doorway and turned around to thank me.  She said something along the lines of "Thank you for taking the time to work with me.  I am truly grateful for this and really appreciate it."

I get thanked a lot.  While holding the door for others, for quick follow up in email, answering a question over the phone, etc. People are generally grateful so hearing Thank You isn't uncommon however, this wasn't just a thank you.  It was a heartfelt appreciation.

A few years have gone by and Tammy is still appreciative. 
It doesn't matter who you are or how much you have done.  At the end of every meeting and every encounter she takes time to appreciate you.

Tammy is the kind of person that asks how you are and really wants the answer.  It's not small talk or just a way to acknowledge that you are in the same space together.  She really means it and really wants to know.
She is someone that I have been able to talk to lately and share some of my frustrations and stress with.  I have appreciated having a colleague at work that I can trust and someone who is truly listening and trying to find a way to help reduce some of the stress.

Tammy is the most kind and heartfelt person I have ever met.  She is a good person, deep down-no strings attached good.  I envy the way that she can work hard at her job and give so much of herself to the people that she works with.  I defintely feel that I lack in that area.  I am usually too selfish thinking about how I feel and focusing on my own stressors that I rarely take time to help others through theirs.  I know that's not my job and not what I get paid to do but at the end of the day that's what people will remember about you.    You know that old saying:  'People will forget what did or said but they will never forget how you made them feel.'   Defintely a blessing.

She shared a story with me once that really stuck out.  It was about the hospital that she used to work at in San Diego.  She poured her heart and soul into her job.  Many times this meant working late and carrying loads of stress around with her.  She went 'back home' a while back and stopped in at a gas station near the site of the old hospital (that has since been torn down).  She made a comment to the store clerk about how things had changed and how she spent a lot of time around that area at ____ hospital (sorry I don't remember the name).  The guy behind the counter made a comment about how he had never heard of that hospital.  She reminds me of this story every so often and how she regrets those days of giving her heart and soul to her job and her work instead of where it really belonged- with her friends and family.  She gave everything to her job and here she is a few years later and there are people that don't even know that the place existed. 

Definitely a life lesson for her and I appreciate that she shared it with me and reminds me of what's important.

I told Tammy about my blog and she was very interested in it.  The next time I saw her I brought in my printed book to show her.  She looked through it and tears filled her eyes.  She then shared with me how she felt about me and the type of person that she thinks I am. 
This happened at the perfect time.  I needed that.

1 comment:

Patience said...

Is that Tammy N? What a lovely blog post!