Template

Friday, May 03, 2013

The end of an era

It was sort of bittersweet today.  Today was my last day in my current (soon to be former) office.


 On Monday I move into my new work area and life as I know it will change.
Most of the Epic team is moving upstairs to the 8th floor.
The space is not very large so our work areas are less than ideal however we continue to be told that 'this is what major companies are doing now....nobody wants cubes anymore, etc, etc'.

Here is a little preview of what we have to look forward to...

Rows of 4 in pods of 8
We have been instructed to 'only bring what you absolutely need' which as we joke amongst the team means one pen and one pencil, a few EPIC manuals and our computer.  
Most of the staff around the floors have been tossing out old paperwork, manuals from older systems and other notes and files.  

There are a total of 100 new workspaces on the 8th floor and 80%+ of them are full.  20% left open for on and off consultants and Epic resources.

Even though we haven't seen much of Jess lately, I will miss having her in our office with us- lunch just won't be the same.  Even though Joanne is constantly busy on the phones (solving all of our users issues) I will miss our little daily chats.  Even though Lola has been pulled into other projects lately, I will miss our morning talks.

There are a few things that won't be so bad about the space so I am trying to focus on those things instead of chanting "I'm going to lose my mind" over and over.  

So, goodbye old office and hello to minimalist work environment, purely eletronic files, new friends and faces and new people to learn from.  Hello to my new neighbors and the Minneapolis skyline (which we see directly out of our window).  Goodbye to a team of 7 and hello team of 100+.

Off to the penthouse we go!


4 comments:

Jennie said...

Moving from an office...to that that?! Oh,I'm sorry--just being an avid (and disgruntled) resident of cubeland, I feel for you. :-/

Kari said...

I do not like the looks of that.

No, not at all.

Oh well, what can you do? Spy on your neighbors better and have your Diet Coke in the breakroom I guess.

jodic said...

yikes, i don't see that as being a wave of the future...i guess that it is less room to have clutter, but geez, no room for ANythING!

Patience said...

Any time I feel a little sentimental about leaving HE, I'm going to pull up this post. I feel like they're putting pretty packaging on poop. I think I would almost prefer them to say, you know, we would like to give you guys more room / space, but we just don't have the real estate for that and I'm sorry. This is the best we can do. The days of the basement office are long gone....