Template

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

You make it worth it


Happy Birthday Jennie!
When I started blogging I vowed that I wasn't going to blog about my family members on their birthdays or about my mom on mother's day, or dad on father's day.  It felt like too much pressure to make sure that I didn't forget anybody and I hated the idea of feeling 'forced' to say something nice about someone because the date on the calendar says I should.  It's not that it's hard to think of nice things to say, don't take this the wrong way, but I don't like doing things because 'it's the thing to do or someone thinks I should' so I have intentionally stayed away from it all.
Until today.

Today is my sister Jennie's birthday.  My girls adore their aunties.   All 5 of them.   But Jennie is the one that seems to pull them out of their shells.  Especially Hailey.  Hailey gets into these moods where she doesn't want anyone but mom.  Typically during these times she will bury her head in my shoulder if anyone looks at her or tries to take her from me.  That is until Jennie shows up.  She typically goes to Jennie without any trouble.

Before I had kids I would always tease my family that they'd better watch out because I wasn't planning on sharing.  At the time I wasn't kidding.  I worked hard for these little girls and I wasn't really excited about passing them on for others to hold and snuggle with.   One of the great things about having a baby of your own is that you don't have to share it with everyone.  You don't have to 'share' and give everyone a turn to hold the baby.  If it's yours, you get dibs, right?

I will never forget the night I had Hannah.  Both sets of parents were there, grandma and Bob were there and Jennie was there.  To be fair Kim and Kristin were in St Cloud so the thought of them being able to be there was out of the question and I know that they would have been there if they were in town.  But anyways, back to the Birthday girl.....I remember laying in the hospital bed, it was late on a Sunday night and one at a time the family started turning the corner to come and meet the newest addition to our family.
I still remember when Jennie turned the corner and saw that newborn.  The look on her face and tears in her eyes were a sign that she loved that little girl even though this was the first time they had ever met.

Jennie is a great auntie- always willing to do hair, paint nails, sing and dance along to whatever the favorite song of the month is, always willing to hold a conversation over the phone with whatever kid wants to call her 'just because'. 

My sisters adore my children and it is obvious how much they care about them.  It's awesome as a mother to sit back and watch their relationships. 

When the girls woke up today and I told them it was Jennie's Birthday Hailey clapped and Hannah said " Awwwww, it is?!  We better call her and tell her to have a good day."
We didn't call but instead we recorded messages to text her.

Happy Birthday Jennie- I hope your birthday was a good one.  My girls sure are lucky to have an auntie like you!

P.S.  This sharing business.....you make it worth it

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Awww, Thank You Amy--that was way too sweet. And totally unexpected since I remember your 'blog vow'. This time you made ME cry, loved it! ♥ p.s. It's pretty easy to adore my nieces and nephews when they're all so incredibly fantastic!! :-)

Patience said...

Oh this blog made me tear up! Happy Birthday to Jennie! And LOVE the picture! (baby bellies are TOO cute!)