Template

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

And the award goes to...

 Today was our system's LDI (Leadership Development Institute).
It is a day where all of the leaders of HealthEast get together and have presentations, learn about how to be better leaders, reflect on the goals/accomplishments of our organization, etc.

During the afternoon there was an agenda item titled: Rewards and Recognition
There would be two categories of awards.
The first category would be for the person who showed the most accomplishment/improvement.
Each VP would chose a receipent of this award.  In the case that the VP oversaw multiple areas, they would choose someone from each area.  We were informed ahead of time that the winners had no idea that they would be winning an award so this would be a surprise to all.

The awards started with St Joe's.  It was obvious that the winner didn't know that she was going to be expected to come to the front, walk across the stage to shake hands with Tim Hanson, President and CEO.
The awards continued with St John's, Woodwinds, the Clinics, and then moved to Corporate Services.  All of a sudden my picture was on the huge jumbo screens and they were calling me to the front of the room!
I still am not totally sure why I received this award because the whole time I was walking to the front of the room my legs were shaking and I was focusing so hard on making sure that I didn't fall or trip.  I couldn't hear what she was reading over the claps and cheers. 

I am pretty sure that it was probably something about the Gallup Survey (employee satisfaction) and the results that my team produced for the clinic users. We have some of the highest numbers across the organization and they greatly improved since last year.  Yay us!

I was told that I would get more information directly from Mac at LDI Day 2 (which will be a seperate LDI with just Corporate Managers).


Then Category 2 started.  Category 2 was all about Supporting Departments.  Again, each VP would choose one person/department that they would like to recognize for supporting their business unit and helping to improve outcomes, etc.
I was still smiling from ear to ear when the leader's for St. Joe's, John's, and Woodwinds  moved to the front of the room to get their much deserved recognition.  The ladies at my table were congratulating me.
Then as they started announcing the winner for the HealthEast Clinics Best Supporting Department my picture came up again!  The crowd started clapping and cheering and once again me and my rubber legs walked to the front of the room to accept the award.  This time I heard some of the 'reason'.  "Amy has partnered with end users, clinicians, and clinics admin..."  Again, I hear that I will hear more specifics about this this week at LDI Day 2 for the Clinics.


It was quite the day.  Since then I have been receiving emails, phone calls, high-fives in the hallways, etc.  It's been extremely flattering and was actually exactly what I needed to remind me that my expectations of myself are WAY bigger than they need to be.  People are pleased and I need to just continue to move in the right direction.  Change is happening, even though it is slower than I like. 

After the awards it was time to wrap up the afternoon. 
As we were waiting for Roger Green to get up and give his presentation, Mindy stood up to look around the room to see if she could find him.  Then a few more people stood up and started looking for him too.  Then the song, "I've Had the Time of My Life- by the Black Eyed Peas" started playing and the 8 or so people standing broke out into dance.  At the part where it said "and I owe it all to you" they all pointed to Tim Hanson.  Tim is retiring at the end of this year and a flashmob just broke out in his honor!  By the end of the song about 1/2 of the people were standing and dancing to the song. It was awesome!
Roger made his way to the stage and then presented Tim with the One of Our Best award.
The day ended with a champagne toast, video send-off for Tim, and a 25-year Anniversary video for HealthEast.
It was a wonderful afternoon!


6 comments:

Chris Miller said...

Wow, Amy!!! I am so proud of you! I am not sir[rosed. though. We all have known forever how awesome you are. Just saw this post this morning...way to go, girl!

Hope it helps you feel a little better about all the time spent on your job. Just don't stretch yourself too thin, okay?!

Chris Miller said...

That was supposed to say "surprised" up there. OOOPs!!

Kari said...

Now I am all teary-eyed - my little sister, such a great, important person, such a terrific, inspiring leader. And this just doesn't go for your job - you are the same, wonderful type of sister, mother, friend.

Congratulations! You are a pretty special little sis, if I may so say myself. :)

Jennie said...

GO YOU!!!!!

Proof that your hardwork IS being recognzied. Bet it feels amazing! :-) Love you!

Patience said...

I'm sorry I'm not there to celebrate this occasion with you! But I am very excited for you and I am so happy that you're receiving some well-deserved recognition. Now, take those awards to Kinko's, have them make 100 copies, and wall-paper your bathroom with them!

Lori said...

I must have missed the big news. Way to go Amy and way to go team! You do rock :)