Template

Sunday, October 02, 2011

Treats

With the risk of sounding like a bad mom (for reasons to be explained a little later), I have to say I am NOT a fan of treat time.
When Hannah was little we started the 'after dinner treat time' routine.  Every night after supper, once things were cleaned up and the jammies were on off to the kitchen we would go where we would get Hannah a treat.  This routine has really taken off and now that Hailey is old enough to understand what is going I have a feeling it's around to stay.

It's not really that I mind that the girls are having a treat it's the fact that it takes them  f o r e v e r  to choose what they want.  Usually by this time of the night I am starting to get tired.  From the moment I get home from work it's 'on'.  Brian has already started dinner, the kids are getting hungry, mom is home and they turn on the attention-craving behavior.  When treat time comes we are so close to heading downstairs to start relaxing and getting ready for bed that I just want to get downstairs to sit down.
The treats in the basket don't change very often and every night it's the same thing....How many things can we pick?  What should I have?  Mom, what's this?  No, Hailey you can't have that, it's too hard.  Hannah, you probably won't like that, you tried it the other night.  And so on....



Most nights Hannah wants something chocolate.  Peanut butter cups or kit kats.
Hailey usually goes for whatever her sister picks but she tries for the suckers and hard candy almost every night.  Usually I can talk her into something that is a little less sticky.

I know that one day I am going to miss the 4 minutes that we spend waiting for them to find just the right treat for the night but for now, I would appreciate it if they could make their decisions a little bit faster.

Sorry....that was kinda rude :-(

2 comments:

Kari said...

do i see pine county fair parade candy in there!? :)
Not rude but yes, you know you'll miss it someday. And we don't have treat time at our house (the kids usually get put to bed almost right after supper, we eat late), but i remember treat and snack time on st albans street very fondly. so you are making memories, mommy, don't forget! :)

Patience said...

What a great mom you are - helping them build their decision-making skills at an early age. I think you're allowed some rude in exchange for the great lesson they're learning...