Template

Sunday, March 07, 2010

The story behind the picture


I decided that I wanted to take Hailey's newborn pictures myself.  It was hard for me to justify taking her to a stuido and paying someone to take pictures when I have a camera capable of doing it myself. 
One day on my maternity leave I decided that that would be the day that I would figure out how to pose Hailey and get some cute newborn pics.  I got a black blanket out and taped it up on the wall to serve as a backdrop.  I then got a picture frame, removed the glass and the mat.  My boss had sent me flowers to the hospital when Hailey was born and they were getting close to the end of their life, it was time to put them to use so I picked some from the bouquet and set them up in front of the frame.  I had to figure out a way for the frame to stand up so I stacked 12 pks of Diet Coke behind the frame so it had something to lean against.  I placed a pillow underneath the blanket so Hailey would have something to lay on.  I was ready!  I took some pictures of the 'empty' scene to assure that I had the right lighting...lights on or off, curtains open or drawn, flash up or down...you get the picture.
Finally, I got Hailey undressed and placed her inside her picture.  I started backing up so that I could get the shot and then it happened....the one thing I hadn't thought about...how was I going to get a newborn baby to lay on a pillow on her side?!  *Bloooop* out she came.  She rolled right out of that frame onto the floor.  She was not happy about that.  She didn't scream or cry - nope, instead she peed.  All over me, all over the floor, all over the blanket.  I quickly put a diaper on her and wrapped her in a blanket and got things cleaned up.  I went to grab her again and *beep*, "what was that?!"  Oh yeah, I forgot that I had made some brownies that day and that *beep* was my notice that they were done and ready to come out...are you kidding me?!  So, I got the brownies out of the oven, removed Hailey's diaper, set her back inside the frame and *WOOF*...*Bloooop*.  Someone had decided to walk their dog in front of our house and Nash needed to let us know that he saw them, that scared Hailey right out onto the floor again.  Poor girl :-(
After about an hour and a half, we finally had the moment, I finally got Hailey to lay long enough to snap a few pictures.  They didn't turn out as good as I was hoping but all and all after the whole ordeal I was happy just to have been able to take any at all.   I sometimes regret not taking her to get her pics taken professionally but then again, we wouldn't have this story to share if we would have gone to Penney's.

5 comments:

Karri said...

I love the story behind the picture, now I'll think of her falling through the frame and peeing everytime I look at it!

Jennie said...

Aww...me too :)

Jennie said...

Aww...me too :)

Jennie said...

Whoops--how do I delete comments? :/

Kari said...

that is the best story ever! i can just imagine when she is a teenager, complaining about how you let her fall through a frame TWICE and pee on herself TWICE...just for a picture.