Template

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Obsession


A little over a year ago Brian bought a charcoal smoker.  It started as an innocent hobby and after the first few racks of ribs were cooked on that smoker it slowly turned into an obsession.
When we first got the smoker I figured that Brian would 'smoke up' some ribs every now and then.  Little did I know the possibilities are endless!  You can smoke turkey, chicken, steaks, ham, bacon wrapped jalapenos, strips of bacon covered in brown sugar, ribs, roasts...if it is sold in a grocery store, you can throw it on a smoker and eat it.


Now, when you are smoking meat, you don't have to only think about the type of meat you plan to eat but you also have to focus on selecting your wood (used to add different smoke flavors to the meat). 

Little did I know there are websites, blogs, whole communities of people that share this hobby.  People that tell you where to get the best wood or which brands of meat taste best.  Recipes, step by step picture guides, videos posted on You Tube....seriously?! 

When I really think about it, it makes sense.  I love scrapbooking.  Just like Brian could sit for hours and read about people's experiences with their smoker, I could sit for hours and look at pages that people have made.  Read about the deals they have found, things that have inspired them...   So I guess my rub ons are Brian's bacon.

By the way, I should mention.  He is REALLY good at it.

1 comment:

Kari said...

I love this picture, it is sooooo perfect. wahahahahaha - my rub ons are brian's bacon - that is hilarious!
this is sooooo cool to see your photos and read a little slice of life. i am addicted - love it! great job! you have the best best pics...