Template

Monday, January 11, 2010

Not so little anymore...



I have developed a horrible habit over the last 26 years of referring to my younger sisters as my 'little sisters'.  They are also commonly referred to as 'the girls'.  Sure, this worked when they were actually little.  I am sure that they didn't mind being called 'the girls' as they were younger but I can only imagine how it must feel now, being a grown adult and still be treated as if you are only a part of a 'group'.
I am so fortunate to have 4 sisters.  Being the second oldest I get to experience being both a little sister and a big sister.  The ages of me and my sisters are spread out enough that I actually do feel like I have a big sister and little sisters.  But, now that we are all 'grown up' isn't it time that we refer to them as older sister and younger sisters?
'The girls' are only 18 months apart.  I can't count the number of times people thought that they were triplets.  I could see how people could have made that mistake considering there is a set of twins in the bunch but triplets?!  I often wonder if Kim and Kristin really get how unique and special it is that they are identical twins.  What I know is that they have a bond like no other people have, it is amazing and you can't help but be jealous of their relationship.  What is cool and unique for us is just normal for them.  Yeah, they grew up getting tons of attention because they are twins and to all of us it is probably desirable to get all of that attention, to have people notice you whereever you go.  I am sure in some cases they think it is pretty neat too but they must feel after all this time like they are a 'pair' and not individuals.  Jennie grew up as their big sister but since she was so close in age, and many times dressed the same as them, she sort of took on the role of being the third twin.  I can't imagine what that would have been like.
What I do know is that I am extrememly jealous of them.  All three of them.  The relationship that they all have, the closeness that they share, it is really an amazing thing to see.  Sure, I am close with them and we have great relationships but I am still the 'big sister' and by the time they were really growing up, I was out of the house, moving on with my life. 
When I hear about people who have siblings that they don't talk to or siblings that they don't care for, it makes me really sad.  First of all, I always think it is weird that people feel like they have a choice whether or not to like their sibling....what?!  I guess our parents did at least one thing right because no matter how mad I ever get at any of them (which I can't even remember the last time I was even sort of mad) I could NEVER turn my back on them.  I could never choose silence between us.  Never.
This is even more true now that I have children.  Before I had Hannah I would always joke around with my family that once I had a baby I was never letting it go.  They would all have to wrestle me to the ground to hold him/her.  Of course I was mostly kidding :-)    Once my girls were born and I saw the reaction my sisters had coming to the hospital, holding their neice, I knew then and there how important it is to me that they are able to share my girls with me. 
My sisters have grown up to be amazing young women and even though they have grown up as 'the girls' they are actually three amazing individuals.  Jennie, Kim, and Kristin have a lot of the same interests but they are also very different.  Currently one of the only things that they all have in common is that at any given time, people who don't know them well (and sometimes even family who SHOULD know them well) call them the wrong name.  I have no idea what it would be like to walk into a room full of people and have someone rush up to you to 'guess' which one you are.  They handle it well but I would think that it must get old.


Jennie claims to 'hate people'.  She states that she doesn't like crowds and she oftens tells tales as if people are out to get her.  She could probably convince a bunch of people that this is really how she feels.  Me?  I don't buy it.  Let me tell you why...every relationship that Jennie has is meaningful.  She has tons of friends and really does make friends easily.  Her smile radiates off of her face (even though she would claim that she doesn't have one).  I have been able to experience first hand her close realtionship with my daughters and believe me-someone who can feel that way about her neices and nephews can't be all that crabby :-)   Her laugh is infectious.  Just ask her about the latest Ben Stiller movie she has seen and it will take her at least 3 minutes of giggling before she can actually come up with a full sentence that makes sense.  You can't help but laugh along with her because you know that based on her reaction it is going to be a good story....brace yourself.  I think one reason why people 'get to her' so much is because she can't stand all of the negativity in the world.  I think she has such a big heart that it really bothers her when she hears about all of the horror in the world.  I think she could use her sense of humor and playfulness to write books poking fun at the world and really opening the eyes of people to see how ridiculous we all act at times.  I can't wait until the day comes when Jennie finds the job of her dreams.  I hope it is in fashion or journalism.

Kim has recently enrolled in graduate school.  She is working in a group home and helps clients with their day to day activities.  Kim is the older twin, by a whole 4 minutes.  Growing up Kim was always the 'clown' in the family.  She would put on shows for us to make us laugh or act out movie scenes.  When she was little she wanted to marry Jim Carey because he was 'so flexible'.  It is amazing to me that this girl who grew up as the center of attention was so shy at one point that she wouldn't even order her meal at McDonald's.  Kim came and worked at the clinic I worked at for a few summers.  I still remember when that clinic opened the door to their new location my sister signed up to be a tour guide for patients and employees as they toured the clinic.  I LOVED working with Kim.  I felt so proud that she was so well liked and everyone had nothing but wonderful things to say about her.  She still has a great sense of humor.  She loves to tell stories and is great at it!  She can slip into character in a second and for a second you forget that she is the one telling the story.   Family is important to her and in our family she has a reputation of being a 'protector'.  She is the type of person you want in your corner and I am glad that she is in mine.


Kristin is known as the 'Bonus Baby'.  When our mom was pregnant she didn't know that she was having twins.  What a surprise to be in the hospital, already in labor, and then be told that there were two babies coming out!  She is a toddler room teacher at a daycare center.  It is a perfect fit for her.  She loves kids and is really good with them.  She is the type of person who can show them love and affection and at the same time lay down the law :-)  She is going to be such a good mom.  Kristin is probably the most laid back, easy going, and most forgiving one of us all.  She doesn't get mad easily and you can bet that if she is mad, she will get over it quickly.  Kristin is kind hearted and helpful, very compassionate.  Talk to her about an issue you are having and she will have ideas for you about how to help your situation.  I can always count on her to tie up an apron and jump right in to wash dishes, calling for Jennie and Kim the whole time we are working away.  She has always been like that. 
I don't want to sound like their mom but I am so proud of my sisters.  They truly are amazing young woman and even though they grew up being shuffled around in a 3 ft radius of each other, they have each found their own way through life.  Just like I tell Hannah and Hailey....we are lucky to have each other forever.  Thanks mom and dad!
(P.S. there is a posting about my older sister Kari earlier and there will be many more to come.  Today, this was about my younger sisters)

1 comment:

chris miller said...

Amy, you are very amazing yourself! Just the fact that you see such a value in your sisters makes me so very proud of you! I am one of the luckiest Moms in the world!