Template

Friday, August 05, 2011

Nasty habits


On our way to the lake and the car is quiet.
I look in the rearview mirror to check out the situation and I see this.
Hailey is biting her nails. 

I sure hope she doesn't continue this nasty habit!  Being a former (I like to think that I am cured) nail biter I would be the first to tell you that it is an awful habit to have.  I would bite my nails down so much that my fingers would throb and bleed.  It was pure madness and growing up I never wanted anyone to look at my hands.  I still remember when I was 20/21 yrs old I was in class at MIM (Medical Institute of Minnesota) and we were talking about taking care of patients.  Our teacher made a statement about our hand hygeine and how we should pay attention to how we care for our hands.  When we take care of patients and take blood pressures, draw blood, etc the patients will typically avoid eye contact so they watch you and your hands at work.  Imagine if your hands were dirty or all chewed up.....I think she was talking directly to me with that sentence and I wouldn't be surprised if I was even chewing away when she made that comment.  I remember that it stuck.  Hearing that and then looking down at my 'puppy-chew-toy' looking fingers I knew that it was time.  At that moment I pretty much stopped cold turkey and it took a few years before I started the nasty habit back up.  I am happy to say that as of today, even though I still go on the occasional bender and bite off a hang nail or rough spot here and there, I am no longer a chew on my fingers until they bleed typr of girl.  I actually have nails and actually have to use a nail clipper every now and then to give 'em a trim.

Gotta find a way to break this girl of this habit....

2 comments:

Patience said...

You can hire Mike as her personal manicurist. I am sure Violet wouldn't mind sharing him. I think if Hailey had a personal manicurist, the habit would disappear naturally....

Kari said...

it is such a hard habit to break. i also quit, maybe for even a year or two, and then one day will go on a bender (as you said) and find myself chewing away. it usually starts with a hangnail and snowballs from there. I've caught my kids doing it, especially Agustin, and let me just say, at least with a girl you can put fingernail polish on to try to thwart the habit!