Template

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Anyone got a shovel?


This morning's keynote speaker was Dean Kamen.
Dean Kamen is a modern-day inventor.  He holds over 440 patents, has done amazing things in his life and affected so many lives however, is best known for inventing the Segway.  He also invented the first wearable insulin pump and dialysis pump, the iRobot (a wheelchair that can climb stairs), a robotic arm- prosthetic, a water filtration system, the list goes on and on.

He talked this morning about how hard it is to get approval from the government and the FDA in order to make his ideas become a reality.  It was so moving listening to him talk about how it can be so easy to develop an idea, find the money and the need to make it happen and then sit and wait 5-15+ years before the government will actually 'approve' the idea.  The red tape and hoops that have to be jumped through in order to allow people like Dean Kamen the chance to change lives is incredible.....such a sad, dysfunctional situation.
He showcased his new water purifier (talked about how he partnered with Coca Cola to get this to 3rd world countries) and then presented his FIRST program.  To learn more click here: http://www.usfirst.org/ 

I have been stalling on this blog entry for 2 weeks now...trying to find the words to describe this presentation and all of the information that was presented to us. I have been at a loss of words but need to try my best to get this done so I can catch up on my blog :-)

It is hard to describe what I was feeling on that day during Dean's time with us.  My face and eyes were covered in tears.  Tears to represent joy, sadness, discomfort, amazement, frustration, encouragement- you name it I was feeling it.
During this 2 hour presentation I couldn't help but feel completely helpless and useless.  To see what this man has done to better our country, to better the lives of thousands of humans is unbelievable.  It stops and makes you think about your own life and the difference you are making.  Am I even making a difference?
Day to day I am not doing anything to make this world a better place.  I am not volunteering my time to help the underprivileged.  I am not addressing any worldly issues and for the most part I don't even want to vote since I get so frustrated with politics in the first place.

One could argue that I am making a difference just by working hard, paying taxes, and raising two adorable little girls.  Am I?  Am I doing the best that I can do?

I like to think that I am making a difference at work.  I really do love what I do but lately have felt defeated more times than I can count. 
I know deep down that by providing an application and support structure that allows staff to better care for patients in the long run means that the work we are doing affects patient lives but I don't get to feel any of that.  I do get to feel the pressure though.  I get the feedback from the users regarding what they don't have that they need.  I get feedback from employees regarding what they think should be done or what they don't have that they need.  I get feedback from patients, corporate services, other IT depts, other areas within the system regarding what they need and don't have.  I also get the pleasure of hearing what the government needs and wants.  And then me and my team get the pleasure to try to figure out how to align all of that work.

Most days I feel like I run around all day listening to people vomiting on me about their concerns/issues/frustrations/needs/wants and then I race home to my little angels that share those same things with me the moment I walk in the door. 
Now, add to that the fact that I am not only a manager at work but I have a family, husband, children, dog, and house that need my attention too.  I didn't even mention my friends in there did I?- I don't get to put anytime into those relationships because everything else is coming first.  I am starting to feel really overwhelmed with all of the demands and the fact that I feel like I spend most of my days tending to others needs or wants or those things that need to get done (shopping, housework, etc). 
I am one of the millions of people that feel this way and I am by no means thinking that I am unique with these feelings.  Just finding it hard to manage.

This speech today didn't help. 

I need to make a change.  Not sure what it is yet but somethings gotta give.

I need to do better than I have been and right now I am not sure I have the capacity to be better...

1 comment:

Patience said...

BodyPump. That is what you need. Ha. Hope that made you smile. Sometimes those presentations are equally uplifting and totally deflating. Talk about setting a high standard...