Template

Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Lurking in the shadows....


Since it has been starting to get nice, most of our evenings consist of being outside.
There is still a chill in the air and I get cold sitting in the shade so tonight I was roaming around the driveway.  The girls had their strollers out and were playing 'park'.

Pause for explanation
Park is where the girls have strollers filled with baby dolls.  They pretend they are the daycare ladies and walk their kids to the park.  They get the babies out of the strollers, get them settled in the lawn, set them up with drinks and snacks and then sit and chat.  When they are done they pack up the kids, say goodbye and then stroll to different areas of the yard.  Within a few minutes they are at it again.
Resume original story

I turned around and saw my shadow. 
I wonder what it would feel like to have that shape?
Tall and thin.
A nice curve to the hips- not too much, just right.
I wonder if women who are tall and thin really appreciate it?  I am sure that like most, if they aren't concerned about their thunder thighs they probably hate their straight hair or big nose. 

One thing about having girls, it is so important to me that they grow up with a sense of self-love and acceptance.  I want to raise them in a house where they don't feel the pressure that society will already put on them to be thin and model-like.  I have tried really hard to assure that I am not walking around the house complaining about how I look or how I feel about the way I look, sure I have those feelings but I don't want them to see that.  Instead of walking around grumbling about it, I want to try to do something about it.  On my own without having to talk about it everyday so they hear it.

I don't really know anything about teaching self-worth to human beings but this is at least a start in the right direction.  I hope...

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Trying to learn to accept my curves, not quite there, but getting there...and hey, just think about how hungry models must be, it's not worth it ;-)

Patience said...

Well, let me just say that yoga is a great tool in the journey to self-acceptance. (Check for me on my one-ruthless-yoga-promotion-per-day goal.) :-) Secondly, I love this blog because it is one that is near and dear to my heart. I am hopeful that being vigilant about positive self-talk, taking time to groom myself, and graciously receiving compliments from Mike will teach Violet confidence, acceptance, and what type of treatment to expect from any prospective suitors.