Template

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Sign O' the Times

It shouldn't surprise me.
Our parents reminded us frequently as we were growing up that someday we would understand - blah, blah, blah.

I was only around 9 years old when I was dancing around the house singing the lyrics to the song 'Like a Virgin'.  I am sure that there were songs with lyrics worse than that but sometimes the words get lost in the 'whole song' so they don't stick out as much.  This however, right in the title.  What's the name of that song?  'Like a Virgin', we would reply. 

(go ahead, sing along....it's hard to resist)
I made it through the wilderness
Somehow I made it through
Didn't know how lost I was
Until I found you
I was beat incomplete
I'd been had, I was sad and blue
But you made me feel
Yeah, you made me feel
Shiny and new
Chorus:
Like a virgin
Touched for the very first time
Like a virgin
When your heart beats
Next to mine
Gonna give you all my love, boy
My fear is fading fast
Been saving it all for you
'Cause only love can last

Now I am the mom.  When I first heard the song 'Teenage Dream' by Katy Perry I was disturbed.  Doesn't she know that little girls and little kids will sing this song and look up to her....etc.  blah-blah-blah  (you can keep your comments to yourself....I realize I sound like an old lady).  I wasn't a fan of this song AT ALL.



Let's go all the way tonight
No regrets, just love
We can dance until we die
You and I
We'll be young forever
You make me
Feel like
I'm living a Teenage Dream
The way you turn me on
I can't sleep
Let's runaway
And don't ever look back
Don't ever look back
My heart stops
When you look at me
Just one touch
Now baby I believe
This is real
So take a chance
And don't ever look back
Don't ever look back

Kristin played a video-for Hannah-on her phone of some random freak singing this song.  From that moment Hannah was hooked on this song.  I tried to shelter her from it.  If it came on the radio I would turn the channel, etc. 
Then on the show Glee, they sang this song.  Hannah remembered it from Kristin's phone and wanted to make sure that I knew that this was 'Kristin's song'.  That is how she started requesting this song...when we were driving to daycare or having random 'family dance party night' in the basement.
I finally broke down and bought the song off of iTunes.  After all, the Glee performance was really good and actually gave me a new outlook on the song....it was pretty catchy.

Well, shortly after the $1.29 purchase Hannah started to learn the words.  Now, she sings along and many nights Brian and I will find her walking around the house playing with Emerson belting out this tune as she changes diapers, etc.

Pretty harmless if you really think about it.  She is singing the words but has no idea what they mean.  Thinking more about it, I am not really concerned about what she is singing, I am just concerned about where she chooses to sing.  That could result in some interesting looks....

2 comments:

Jennie said...

ah? Freak? His name is Keenan by the way :-) lol

Kari said...

i agree, though. some of those lyrics are so disturbing and i don't like the idea of my kids singing them, understand or not.