Template

Monday, November 11, 2013

Thank You For Your Service

Hannah's school sent home a note last week inviting all Veterans to join the kids for lunch on Veteran's Day.  I had called my dad and asked if he was free.  He confirmed that he would love to come!  I picked him up at 11:30 and was able to leave work for a little bit to join him.
When dad got into the car he unzipped his coat to show me his medals.  
"You know, this is the first time in 44 years that I have worn these medals."
There is no surprise that being in the Vietnam war was the worst thing that ever happened to my dad.  When we were little he didn't talk about it much.  As we got older he would talk to us and tell us stories.  Unimaginable stories and events that took place.  He is so lucky to have survived!
We have never made a huge deal about Veteran's Day with my dad- not because we don't care or think that it's important but because we were raised to not talk about it. It was a hard time for him and I am sure that instruction came out of love and protection for him but I am not sure that was really the right reaction for us to have.  My dad was drafted.  He didn't sign up for the war.  He was mandated to be there.   I couldn't imagine living in a time like that where the government forced you or your children into war.  What a horrible situation.

 
One of these days I would like to sit down with my dad and record some of these stories.  I would love to look back at his pictures and celebrate the service he provided to our country and our freedom instead of running from it or pretending it didn't happen.
Hannah was super proud to show grandpa off today.  When her class arrived to the lunchroom her teacher approached us and told us how Hannah shared a book that her grandpa Dan made her during circle time today and told all of the kids about Grandpa Dan and his puppets. 

During lunch a few different people approached my dad to shake his hand and thank him for his service.  It was very touching. 


THANK YOU to all who have served and to all that will choose to serve!

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Absolutely love this post and these pictures. You put it so well. Dad actually told me a few stories from his time in the service the other day and it was the first time I was hearing them. Hard to believe there's so much about my own Dad I don't know..

Patience said...

What a great day and bonding time for Hannah and your dad! And what a great time to start talking about these stories!