Template

Friday, February 08, 2013

Makes you think


I couldn't stop looking at the horizon this morning.
It was breathtaking.
The clouds were so low that they almost looked like a mountain range and I found myself in awe.
Now, living in Minnesota you don't get much experience with mountains but I've been to Ecuador twice so I'm sort of a mountain expert (hee hee).

It was actually pretty difficult to get a good picture from my iPhone of just how amazing the skyline looked this morning but considering how bad some of the other pictures turned out, I shouldn't be too disappointed.

My whole drive into work I thought about my sister and her family.  I remembered my trips to Ecuador and recalled how beautiful the scenery there is.  I then started to think about my sister's life there and then it hit me.  Like a sack of bricks.
She lives in Ecuador.

That is her home.

I have come to accept this over the years and frankly am still ok with it.  It makes them happy and that is what is most important.  But today I couldn't help but think of what life will be like when our kids are old and start to move out of our houses.  Those 'golden years' when we are all suppose to go out for coffee, have sister lunches and grow old together...we won't be together.  She will be there and we will be here.  I then started thinking about where she will be buried (seriously not trying to be morbid) and realized that we haven't really experienced the 'hard times' of her being away yet.
One could argue that missing a wedding or birth of a child is hard, and they would be right, it is- it sucks but it's just what we know with this situation.
I guess deep down you talk yourself into thinking that this has all just been temporary and eventually we would all be together again but today it sunk in.
This may be how we know things forever.

Sad :-(


2 comments:

Jennie said...

:-/

This post really hit home right now...it is sad, but it's reality and I've always felt that way about Kari living so far away: If she's happy there and that's where her family's life is, I shouldn't be selfish and wish they'd just move HERE (although, I do, often!!)

p.s. totally think of Ecuador when I see "mountains" too--it's my only experience with them :-)

Patience said...

I have to agree, it's so hard when family is spread out... thank heaven for technology which makes it easier to bridge the distance!