Template

Friday, April 06, 2012

It was a Good Friday

Today is Good Friday.  Jackie's is closed so I am off with my girls today- using my paid Easter Holiday.

Kim and Kristin were also off today so we decided it would be a good day to hang out.  They came over around 10:00 am.  I didn't tell the girls they were coming.  I was in the kitchen and all of a sudden heard Hailey yelling "Hi" out the front window.  Hannah went walking over to see who she was talking to and in a very confused but excited voice said "Kimmy and Kristin are here!" 

A few minutes into their visit Hannah was checking out Kristin's bird earrings.  They started talking about the earrings and how/when Kristin got her ears pierced.  Kristin whispered in Hannah's ear and then Hannah came walking towards me.

Hannah:  "Mom, can I get my ears pierced today?"
Me:  "Huh?  Are you serious?"
Hannah:  "Yeah- can I please?"
Me:  "Well, let me check with your dad."

I texted Brian and he said it was fine so I told Hannah we could.  She was super excited but I was convinced that she didn't really know what she just asked me to do so to be sure we sat her down and explained what would happen. 
"Hannah, they are going to put little guns by your ears and then poke the earrings through.  It is going to hurt a little bit.  They won't hurt forever but it is going to hurt for a little bit.  You sure you want to do this?"

She was.

So, we packed up and headed out.  There was definitely a little bounce in her step as her and Dankie made their way inside (Of course I let her bring her Dankie- she was going to freak out after all and I needed her to have something to help her deal with what was about to happen).

We talked about it one more time.  (I was glad she didn't see the girl before her leaving the store screaming and crying while her mom carried her to the car- yikes!)


She climbed right up



Sat perfectly still while they cleaned and prepped the area



Looked at me while they counted 1, 2, 3


And left with earrings and an "I just got my ears pierced sticker!"



She was crazy brave!

We called Brian right after so she could tell him all about it.
In her words "I was so brave.  I didn't even cry one drip!"

Mom on the other hand....I may have shed a few.  The feelings overwhelmed me while I was sitting there in front of her holding her hand while she was sitting so brave getting her ears pierced.  When did my little buddy grow up so big?  I was so proud of her and I was a little nervous that she was going to freak out- when she didn't I realized how much she probably is 'ready' for and wondering if I am really ready for this.

I think those girls injected her with a little more self confidence that day.  The questions have begun as my little Bean Machine wants to know everything about what this new bling means to her over the next few years.
"Do I sleep with my new earrings?"  Yep
"Can I shower with them in?"  Yep
"Will I have them for my Birthday?"  Yep
"Oh cool!"

I was 10 yrs old when I got my ears pierced and I remember that day.  It was my birthday and we were at Maplewood Mall (pretty sure).  We went to Circus pizza and I got my ears pierced at a place in the mall- not sure if it was Claire's back then too.  It's amazing how it instantly makes you feel like a different person.  You are SURE that everyone around knows what you just did and convinced that you MUST be blinding everyone with your new ear candy.
Hannah was that same way today.  She is so proud of herself and is so exicted to tell anyone and everyone!

Guess what buddy- Mommy and Daddy are proud of you too!

Kim and Kristin were AMAZED at what a good job she did- they let her pick out 3 packs of new earrings- cupcakes, dangling hearts and flowers- it's gonna be a long 6 weeks waiting to change these.  Until then- wash you hands very good with soap if you wanna touch them and clean them two times a day.  Wiggle to the front, wiggle to the back, spin, spin, spin, spin, spin, spin.





2 comments:

Patience said...

I think your 4-year-old handled getting her ears pierced better than I did when I was 12! Which is only mildly embarrassing. She is growing right up! It does make a mom want to cry a little!

Jennie said...

It took me YEARS before I was brave enough to get mine pierced--pretty sure I was the last Miller girl lol. Way to go Hannah!!!