Template

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Just like that

About three weeks ago we were talking again that it is probably time to start thinking about weening Hailey from her nuk.
Of course Brian was much more equiped to deal with this than I was and knowing that eventually she would have to deal it was still hard for me to start this process.
We should wait until after all of her teeth are in.  We should wait until we get her into a big girl bed.  We should wait until she starts talking more and then we can bribe her like we did with Hannah.....do I need to continue or do you get it?

One day when I picked the girls up from Jackie's, Hailey was standing at the diaper bag.  As soon as she saw me she started running in place with excitement and then reached into the front pocket of her bag where the nuk waited everyday for her because after 12 months they aren't 'allowed' at Jackie's anymore.
What? Was? That?
At that moment the decision was made (in my head) to start the process.  Not really sure how yet but at least start.
The next morning when I dropped the girls off, I placed Hailey's nuk inside in the insdie pocket of the diaper bag.   At this point it was more of an out of site, out of mind thing but I knew that if she asked for it or wanted it when she went to bed we I would cave.

One little step of the plan I forgot.....I didn't tell Brian my thought and didn't tell him that the nuk was in the bag.

He picked the girls up on that day, Hailey reached in the front pocket and no nuk!  She was NOT happy and she let daddy know.
Brian texted me to ask me where the nuk was.  By the time I responded to him he had already made up his mind that on his watch today she was going to have to learn to deal because he was done with this nuk obsession.
That night I got home, Hailey whined a tiny bit for her nuk but then the art of distraction took over and she soon forgot about it.
That night, Brian put her to bed without her nuk.  (There was NO way that this would work)

or would it?

She feel right to sleep and the next day would mark the first day of her life as clean and sober.




It's official.  The stash that has been hanging out waiting for the ultimate breakdown is getting thrown out.

5 comments:

Karri said...

Yeah Hailey (and Mom and Dad too)!

Jennie said...

Go Hailey! Go, Go, Go Hailey!

Kari said...

Yay! Congratulations. Like Karri said, it was probably more of a feat for Mom and Dad!

Patience said...

Wow, look at those abandoned little nuks! It's makes a mama proud!

Tammy said...

Nice!