Template

Friday, April 15, 2011

Hope it's worth it

I signed up to be a consignor at the April 28-30 Just Between Friends Sale in Elk River.

 Interested?    http://elkriver.jbfsale.com/pages/home

I have been working little by little to go through our 'baby things' and make decisions about what items to sell, what items to donate, what items to graduate to the world of shop-rags, what items should just make their way to the landfill, etc.

This is what I have to show for about 20 hours of work....

 

MUCH harder than I anticipated.
First I had to ransack the house to find all the places that could have stuff stored away.
Then I had to look at every item and inspect for stains, holes, etc.
Then I had to determine if I was going to keep or sell.  (still working on this one)
Then I had to pack back up in some sort of fashion so when the day comes that I can finally iron (yikes!) and tag everything in a somewhat organized manner.

One HUGE tote and a laaundry basket FULL of toys.
One tote of maternity clothes.
Four totes of baby clothes 0-12 months (summer and spring only)
One tote of shoes, socks, hats
One container of blankets
One box of onsies, socks, tights, washcloths
I have two bathtubs, a bathseat, a swing, a boppy pillow, a Boppy seat, an activity table, an exersaucer, and a car seat with two bases.

It was a very emotional process but at the same time I handled it better than I thought I would.  I only teared up a few times and at one point actually told myself to turn the emotions off so I could get through this.
I think when I actualy make the decision to tag, determine a price, etc, it will be MUCH harder.
On one hand I have so much nice stuff that I would love to keep it- just in case we have another or just in case one of my sisters has a little girl.
Trouble with those feelings- I have an opportunity to get rid of these items when they are still 'in style' and worth something.   Who knows if we will have more kids.  Who knows when my sisters would have kids and when they do, it's only 50/50 chance it would be a girl.
I know it would really help them out, etc but at the same time I loved getting things for the baby and going shopping. There will be plenty of showers and plenty of people spoiling those kids once they are on their way.

Our house isn't big enough to store all of this stuff for a case of the what ifs.
I need to take my chance at selling it.

I have to keep telling myself  "You are selling clothes, NOT the actual children.  They do not fit in these clothes and never will again."   It doesn't make me feel better.

I haven't even started the hard part yet...

4 comments:

Jennie said...

You'll feel better if you get rid of some stuff! But man, what a process :-/ Let me know if you need any help (going through things/watching the girls so you can get all that stuff done).

Oh and p.s. nevermind about your sisters having babies, some day, lol, let's talk about you guys having another one.... ;-)

Amy Elizabeth said...

Hmmmm...I think I want to take you up on this.
Whatcha doin' some night this week or all day Friday?

Kari said...

I feel the same way about getting rid of the clothes, then start thinking that by the time someone could use them they'll be out of fashion anyways, or super dated...

Patience said...

Oh man, I wish I was there - I would buy up all your stuff for Violet!