Template

Friday, December 10, 2010

Baking day


Tammy, Stacey, and I spent the day baking.

We made cream wafers, peanut butter blossoms (the ones with the Hershey kiss), Chewy Surprise (Milk Dud ones), pumpkin with icing, Jingle Bell Butterfinger cookies (like a chocolate chip cookie but with crushed butterfingers instead), and homemade caramels (my favorite).


Homemade Caramels
1 cup butter
1 lb brown sugar (yes, that does say one pound)
dash of salt
1 cup light Karo syrup
14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla

Melt butter over medium heat.  Add sugar, salt and Karo syrup.  Gradually add milk.
Stir continously until temp reaches 245 degress (firm ball-use candy thermometer).
Remove from heat and add vanilla.

Pour into 9 inch pan.
I like to use a disposable pan so that you can bend the pan around the caramels to get them out.
Cut, wrap, and enjoy!

That is if you don't eat the whole pan while you are cutting them

2 comments:

Kari said...

Oh I love those, but I can't make all those candy bar ones- Somehow I don't think the Ecuadorian candy bars would "translate" so well... I need some good, (EASY) bars and cookies to make. I am pouting now.. :)

Amy Elizabeth said...

How about the peanut butter blossom ones?
what kind do you want to make?