Template

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Takin' one for the Team

We have had a rough few weeks.
Hailey will NOT get up in the morning.  We have had to fight and wrestle to get her up and dressed.  She lays there with her dead weight and as I try to lift her she starts kicking and screaming.  It's been horrible.
I have been close to tears everyday and Hailey always ends up in tears.  My throat hurt from yelling, my shoulders hurt from tensing and my head aches from the stress.  This is not how mornings should go.

Last night I gave her a lecture as I put her to sleep.
"Now tomorrow, I am NOT having another bad morning.  You need to wake up and get dressed and not give me ANY trouble!  Do you hear me?!"  Not really sure what was going to happen when we had another rough morning but at least I warned her so when the punishment flew out of my mouth she wouldn't be completely surprised.

I woke up this morning and got ready like normal.  Once I had finished, I reached for the door handle to enter the hallway and took a deep breath.  Here we go...
To my surprise when I opened the door I could see that there was a light on down the hallway.  As I got closer to their rooms I could see that Hannah was actually in Hailey's room getting her dressed.
Hailey was sitting on the edge of her bed and Hannah was coaching her "Now buddy, we are not going to have a rough morning.  We are going to get dressed for mommy and not throw a fit.  You are doing a great job this morning."  Made my heart absolutely melt.
It also hurt my feelings a bit.  As happy as I was to not have a rough morning, it made me feel like a pile of you know what.  What kind of mom has a breakdown that actually effects a 7 year old enough to get up and help me.  What have I done?!

 
   And then it hit me.....maybe I should be focusing on the fact that I have done something right.  I have raised a little girl who made an effort to help me.  I have raised a little girl who didn't do her usual routine in the morning but instead decided to take one for the team and walk into her sisters room and face the beast.
We had a MUCH better morning today and there wasn't any yelling, fighting or wrestling.

Tonight after work I met my sister Jennie for dinner and we made our way to see her childhood idol, Jordan Knight, from New Kids on the Block.  He was here with Nick Carter, from The BackStreet Boys, for their Nick and Knight tour.  The concert was at Mill City Nights and it was obvious while we were waiting in line that these two do not have any new fans.  Moms everywhere!  Occasionally we'd see a candidate for boyfriend/husband of the year although none of them looked too happy to be up for nomination.





 I originally offered to go with Jennie because there was no way she should miss this.  I was taking one for the team.  I was pleasantly surprised.  They were actually pretty good.  Nick Carter was totally dreamy. And his dancing......wow.



No comments: