Template

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Slight detour

This weekend after I finished the third book on my list of 5, I found myself taking a small detour. My friend, Karri, borrowed me a book earlier this summer. I saw it sitting on the table and decided that I would read it next.
My Friend Leonard by James Frey is the sequel to A Million Little Pieces. I read A Million Little Pieces earlier this year. I was on a business trip to Chicago in January and woke up one morning to a news report about Oprah and a man named James Frey. Oprah had chosen the book A Million Little Pieces for her book club. After reading this book, which was believed to be a true story, it was discovered that the author had embellished some of the details of the story.
Oprah was furious! She confronted the man on her show and it wasn't pretty....Oprah is someone that you don't want to get mad. I am not a huge fan of Oprah so I decided to see what upset her so much. In my mind, if the story is mostly true, then who really cares if the author embellished it a little bit....life is full of embellishments.
The book was awesome! I loved it. The story was believable and regardless of whether or not everything in the story was 100% true to how it happened, it was a great story.
The sequel is just as good. I read this book in 1 day! What is happening to me?! I am enjoying reading a lot! A hobby that I never thought that I would ever enjoy...and here I am reading a book within 24 hours!
I would recommend both of these books to everyone!
4.5 of 5 stars for each one! (alert: the book contains very foul language and graphic situations)

1 comment:

Kari said...

You've been real busy posting! I read this book too, intrigued at what could make Oprah so mad. I really don't see why she cared that certain facts were embellished. It was mostly true. Some of the stuff an addict does doesn't make sense, maybe he wasn't in his right mind, maybe he needed to maintain some people's privacy. I didn't think that the changes he made changed the storyline or the message at all. Not such a big deal. But I'd only give it 2 stars. It was a fast read but I had a hard time with his attitude, although that's what ultimately saved him. He just wasn't a very likeable guy for me...