Template

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Cover it up!

It's time.
We need to invest in some widow coverings.
We have a huge window in our stairwell and although I personally love it, it's time to cover it up.  The girls get scared walking up to bed and passing through by the huge open window.  I have known that this day would come and I am not sure why I think it's such a good idea to leave it open.  I think part of it is that I love to look out of it.  I love to look at the beautiful houses around us, the gorgeous sunsets in that direction and the open lot.  I know soon enough that these lots will fill with houses and I will lose part of my view.  I think I'm scared of making a decision.  Choosing a covering that I won't get sick of, choosing one that looks good, etc. those things are stressful for me.

I called a lady out from Budget Blinds today and she brought tons of fabric swatches and different options.  I need to not only cover the stairway window but also need something for the sliding glass door as well.  I was extremely overwhelmed.  I thought having an expert in this area and a designer in my home would help calm my nerves.  I was ready to just let go, listen to her options and then pick one- after all, she knows best, right?
For the stairway window we talked about my requests- something unique, something that will blend well but won't get overlooked or lost in that space, if possible something that I can look out of, I wanted low maintenance- something I could wipe down.
She suggested this new shade.  I fell in love with it as soon as she showed it to me.  You can leave it open so that you can still see out of it and then close it to give a more solid look.



I felt that this would meet my needs perfectly.  I really liked the idea of a blind in this area so that I could still bring in light and have somewhat of a view but the idea of a standard blind was out since they are so hard to clean and that window is so big.  There were tons of fabrics to choose from but after holding this one up in the window, it was the clear winner.


For the sliding door she recommended a panel blind.  Basically a vertical blind that is only 5 fat panels that fold on top of each other.  I thought I really liked this idea until I talked to my neighbor, Melissa, who has one and is not a huge fan.  She doesn't like that when it's open, it still covers about 18 inches of your door. I had made a fabric choice on that in case I changed my mind but also have another lady coming out this week to see what sort of ideas she has. 

No comments: