Template

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Two down, 4 to go

Today I finished The Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Packard
This book came as a recommendation from my sister, Kari.
It was a very easy read. The chapters were short so I was able to feel that I was accomplishing something as I was reading. The story was interesting. A woman named Lexy dies and the only witness of her death is her dog, Lorelei. Her husband, Paul, spends a year trying to reveal the cause of his wife's death. He was convinced that he could teach his dog to talk, in hopes to find answers. The book travels through time as you learn of their lives together, the success and failure of trying to teach a dog to talk, and what really happened in Lexy's death.
During the book, I found myself having trouble putting it down and when I was near the last few chapters, I actually sat at work trying to figure the mystery out. (What is happening to me?)
In the end, I was left happy and disappointed. The mystery was revealed but the ending left me wanting more. I gues that that is the sign of a good book, but I felt disappointed in the way the story ended. Even though I felt disappointed, I still find myself loving this book.
I would recommend this to anyone!
4 of 5 stars

1 comment:

Kari said...

I agree with you about the ending - I remember now feeling the same way, like the book wasn't over but it was. And I like the short chapters too! I have a hard time with long chapters the older I get!